Tuesday, October 3, 2017

2017 Cybils Judge!

 I have been chosen to be a Round 1 Elementary/Middle Grade Nonfiction Judge for the 2017! This is a lovely honor, since I am still so inactive - work and life have taken over all my so-called "free-time." As I type this is really should be working on my XRF article (I am running the PXRF right next to me.) I love doing this.


The Elementary/Middle Grade Non-Fiction Category Description is as follows ... 
Kids are curious about the world around them and nonfiction is the perfect way to introduce them to that amazing world. History? Biography? Art? Science? Math? Animals? Sports? It’s all here and more besides! We love text and illustrations or photographs that will wow kids and adults alike and topics so fascinating that kids will want to go digging for more, more, more nonfiction!

Nonfiction Elementary/Middle Grade includes titles with factual content and informational titles. At least 50% or more of the book should be narrative nonfiction (as opposed to experiments, activities, instructional, or collections of facts without a strong narrative thread like encyclopedias). Mythology, folklore, poetry, graphic novels (including nonfiction), and historical fiction should be nominated in the appropriate category (which isn’t this one). We are currently accepting nominations only in print (no ebooks or books containing additional materials like kits) for this category.

How do I decide which category to nominate in?

Elementary Nonfiction
Intended for preschool through beginning readers (picture books, easy readers, and early chapters).

Middle Grade Nonfiction
Intended for elementary age readers up through 5th grade. May include picture books with more complex text and themes as well as chapter books.

And I just realized that there appears to be a problem here - the title says Middle Grade but the description is that same one that was used for Juvenile last year. I will double check this and fix the post to reflect whichever way it is really supposed to read. 

I really do love reading the entries - there are some really great non-fiction books out there for kids and they deserve to be celebrated.

Nominations for all Cybils categories opened October 1st and close on the 15th. The guidelines/categories info and link to nominations page is here.

Submissions from publishers and authors will be accepted October 16-26 and information for that is at the publisher section.

The mission of these awards is as follows ... "The Cybils Awards aims to recognize the children’s and young adult authors and illustrators whose books combine the highest literary merit and popular appeal. If some la-di-dah awards can be compared to brussels sprouts, and other, more populist ones to gummy bears, we’re thinking more like organic chicken nuggets. We’re yummy and nutritious.

So if you have read a great picture book, early reader, chapter book, middle grade or young adult novel, graphic novel, poetry or nonfiction book this past year please nominate them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.