Monday, May 19, 2014

Bout of Books Weekend Update and Wrapup

Bout of BooksHurray for completing my second Bout of Books!

The weekend was very busy with family time, homework. etc. but I managed to do more reading than I usually would have, mostly by waking up early and staying up late.  I have to remember that I really need to focus on ebooks for these kinds of events since that is what I typically end up reading - like Sunday morning I had a child climb on top of my and fall asleep pretty much trapping me - I didn't have enough light to read a print book, so I wound up reading an ebook that wasn't even on my radar at the start of the week.

Saturday
Pages read: 328 pages today
  • 228 pages of Emilie and the Sky World by Martha Wells (fun!)  - finished it.
  • 100 pages of Lexicon by Max Barry  - sociopathic blood bath
  • 118 pages of The Return of Zita the Spacegirl by Ben Hatke (wow! was this intense!)
Running Total Pages:  1188 ; plus a 214 page graphic novel
Books Finished so far: 5
I didn't get to participate in the challenge today.

Sunday
Pages read: 328 pages today (wow, that's weird - same as Saturday)
  • 246 pages of Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster - finished it.
  • 82 pages of Lexicon by Max Barry
Running Total Pages: 1516 ; plus a 214 page graphic novel
Books Finished so far: 6
I didn't get to participate in the challenge today either. Heck - I didn't even get to touch a computer on Sunday! 

So, like I said, on Sunday morning I wound up with a child sleeping on top of me (she informed me that she had a bad dream and fell asleep on me after talking about it for a while) - I couldn't reach my book so I checked out the Amazon daily deals on my ereader - and read about Dear Mr. Knightley - which sounded rather too much like a rip of one of my favorite books from when I was a kid - Daddy-Long-Legs - and it turns out that you can download Jean Webster's books for free so I got Daddy-Long-Legs and Dear Enemy (which I have actually read 19 pages of but I have no intention of re-jiggering all my numbers at this point!).

Happily, unlike with Wrinkle in Time, I still really enjoyed Daddy-Long-Legs. It makes for a sweet, entertaining read, and as an adult it is obvious now what was happening, though it surprised me as a kid. The story is a little problematic in terms of modern social mores, but the squick factor isn't that bad.

 

Wrap up - 

So how did I do ?   Here is my original Bout of Books 10.0 Goals List 

Final Stats: 
Total pages read: 1,516; plus a 214 page graphic novel
Total books finished: 6

Books Finished:
The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street by Helene Hanff
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Owl's Well That Ends Well by Donna Andrews
Emilie and the Sky World by Martha Wells  
The Return of Zita the Spacegirl by Ben Hatke  

Books In Progress: 
 Lexicon by Max Barry

 On the Organic Law of Change: A Facsimile Edition and Annotated Transcription of Alfred Russel Wallace's Species Notebook of 1885-1859 annotated by James T. Costa.

Oh - and Dear Enemy by Jean Webster, which I forgot that I started reading a bit after finishing Daddy-Long -Legs. 

My Goals

  • To read 6 books for pleasure (to heck with books for classes - I have all summer for that).  DONE! - Not generally the ones I planned to read, but still I did read 6 books.
  • Complete at least a summary review for each book read Working on it. 
  • I also want to participate in at least three challenges (I did all but one last time, but my time will be more thoroughly occupied with grading this time around).   DONE!
Hope your Bout of Books went well!

1 comment:

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.