Wednesday, May 14, 2014

This' Made Me Think of 'That'

Bout of Books My Overstuffed Shelves is hosting the Book Pairings/This' Made Me Think of 'That' Challenge

 With what little that is left of my brain today ...

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan made me think about Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco to the point that I want to re-read it this summer. The whole idea of novices and secret societies, secrets hidden in books and the almost monastic vibe.


Goth Girl and the Ghost of A Mouse by Chris Riddell made me think of the theme song for Ruby Gloom, which has to be one of the catchiest theme songs I have ever heard for a kids cartoon. I mostly has to do with the color scheme and the cute goth vibe - lovable ghosts and the like.



And Ready Player One by Ernest Cline has pretty much kept Oingo Boingo's Dead Man's Party stuck in my head for weeks now, since he talks about the song in the first few pages of the book. 


1 comment:

  1. I've got The Name of the Rose in line to be reread as well. Much denser and philosophical than Robin Sloan's book, but one of my all time favorites. I've got Goth Girl and need to read that, maybe this week! I can't wait until Cline's new book Armada hits the shelves -- that'll be a great read I'm sure. Glad you took a break from grading to join in the fun!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.