Saturday, January 3, 2015

Happy New Year !


Have a picture of Cesium I, the first successful atomic clock, designed by Louis Essen and built in 1955, at the National Physical Laboratory in Teddington. (Science Museum, London, UK)


Plus a picture of the prototype of The Clock of the Long Now, also at the Science Museum in London.
The idea with this one is to create a mechanical clock that it can display the correct time for 10,000 years in order to promote long term thinking. Sorry the photo is so blurry. If you go to the link above you can see a better picture. You can find out more about the full scale project at The Long Now Foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.