Saturday, January 3, 2015

The Cybils Finalists have been announced

One hundred and ten books (well, actually 107 for me - I didn't get a chance to finish the last three) and lots of discussion later, we have the finalists for the Nonfiction for Elementary & Middle Grades category. They were posted on the 1st but I have just gotten around to saying anything about it since I have been playing with my kids. 

Here they are (see http://www.cybils.com/2014-finalists-nonfiction-for-elementary-middle-grades for the list with blurbs) ... 

by Russell Freedman
Clarion Books

by Sy Montgomery
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

by Melissa Stewart
Charlesbridge

by Loree Griffin Burns
Millbrook Press

by Duncan Tonatiuh
Harry N Abrams

by Sandra Markle
Millbrook Press

by Rebecca L. Johnson
Millbrook Press

This was tough - there were lots of really great nonfiction books nominated (and a very few serious disappointments) and since the category is so broad in terms of audience (books be directed generally at ages 3-12) - it was a real trick to pick out our top seven. Yep - 7 - out of 110 books or just over 6% of the nominated books.

I ended up putting all of the books into mental groupings (biographies, dog books, read-aloud books, middle grade science books, adventure books, history books etc.) that only made sense to me, picking my top books out of those groups and then trying to figure out how my top picks compared. I avoided reading reviews of any of the nominated books and tried not to pay any attention to the other reviewers shortlists.  My "short" list got up to around twenty-five at one point (oops).

Unsurprisingly, for all of the judges, there were some books that we really loved that we thought deserved inclusion, but were not favorites with the majority.  I will write up a short list of some of the ones I thought were great books that didn't end up making the final list when I get a chance.

The finalists for all of the categories are linked here:
http://www.cybils.com/2015/01/the-2014-finalists.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.