Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Last weekend I randomly found myself re-reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. It has been a long time since I re-visited these books, though in college I read and re-read all of them. Now that I have started, I will have to read them all again.

Since Hitchhiker's Guide was published in 1979 this isn't so much a review than a quick note to remind people that this is a great book. Not so much a story as an exploration of the essential absurdity of the universe, with the bonus that it is much funnier than reading Waiting for Godot.

If you haven't read it and have any interest in science fiction, nerd culture, or understanding a bunch of in-jokes that float around in such places (like the bit about the towel), you really need to at least read the first one. If you have seen the movie (or the old BBC series) try to make sure you blank it from your mind first. Just read.

Rather than try to explain anything, I am simply going to supply some quotes ...

"Who said anything about panicking ?" snapped Arthur. "This is still just the culture shock. You wait till I've settled down into the situation and found my bearings. Then I'll start panicking!" 

--- *** ---

"Well?" she said. 

"Well what ?" 

"Parts of the inside of her head screamed at other parts of the inside of her head." 

--- *** ---

"Arthur! You're safe!" a voice cried. "Am I?" said Arthur, rather startled. "Oh, good." 

--- *** ---

Plus, Hitchhiker's Guide provided some lovely words for my Wondrous Words Wednesday post this week.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.