Tuesday, March 24, 2015

The Great Discworld Re-Re-Read, update 1

Good grief!  I just wrote that giant The Great Discworld Re-Re-Read post when all I meant to do was create a short update post.

So - I have been re-reading books in the City Watch arc. To date I have read:

Guards! Guards! - Sam Vimes, Carrot, Colon and Nobby are introduced here. Vimes is an alcoholic - his way of dealing with being both an idealist and a cynic, and this is the start of his 'redemption' arc. One of my favorites.

Men at Arms - The Patrician has introduced the concept of 'diversity' and forced the watch to take some new recruits: a dwarf, a troll and a woman.  This book introduces us to Angua. Also one of my favorites. 



Feet of Clay - I love this one! One of my all time favorites. The golems are introduced, as is Cherry Littlebottom, a dwarf and first, and for quite some time the only, member of the forensics department in the watch. I adore Cherry. This book is an exploration of the concept of freedom, with several facets being worked at the same time. 



Jingo - Ankh-Morpork is going to war, but Sam Vimes is emphatically not a military man. His job is to maintain the peace. I can see where Pratchett was trying to go with this one, but I don't really think it worked out. Not a favorite, and in fact, mentally I keep mixing this one up with The Last Continent, which is part of the Wizards cycle and also not one of my favorites. I think roughly half the time Sam is rather out of character and while using Carrot as an ertsaz Lawrence of Arabia is kind of cool, it wasn't used as effectively as it could have been.  Lots of interesting ideas but overall the novel just didn't gel for me. Still, I am glad that I have taken another look at it.


... and now I am reading The Fifth Elephant 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.