Friday, July 25, 2014

A peak into The Irish Game and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep


Sorry I am late for this weeks memes -  it was a bugger of a day.
For Book Beginnings on Friday, hosted by Rose City Reader ...

I am still on that stolen art kick, so here is the beginning of The Irish Game by Matthew Hart, a non-fiction retelling of the robberies (yes, plural) at Russborough House.

On the morning of August 27, 2003, two men in their forties drove up to an enormous mansion called Drumlanrig Castle, in Dumfriesshire, Scotland, and paid six pounds apiece to take the tour. 



And for a completely unrelated fiction book this week ... I picked up my copy of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick as a violent reaction to something or another. Whatever you are reading, Philip Dick will probably be completely different from it. Starting on page 1 ...

A merry little surge of electricity piped by automatic alarm from the mood organ beside his bed awakened Rick Deckard. Surprised – it always surprised him to find himself awake without prior notice – he rose from bed, stood up in his multicolored pajamas, and stretched.




For The Friday 56 hosted at Freda's Voice page 56 of The Irish Game ...

Cahill drove ten miles to Manor Kilbride and, for reasons still unknown, jettisoned seven paintings in the grass.

From page 56 of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep...

In fact the girl did not even seem aware of it. Or maybe she did not understand was a cube of margarine was for. He had that intuition; the girl seemed more bewildered than anything else.

 And with that, I will leave us all awash in a sea of weirdness.

Have a good weekend :)

1 comment:

  1. I hope your day is better today!
    That tour sounds like one I would take. :-)
    I loved Blade Runner, the film. Haven't read the book. Hope you're enjoying it.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.