Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Top Ten Favorite Movies or TV Shows!

Hosted by the Broke and Bookish the topic for July 15 is: Let's talk about other types of stories! Top Ten Favorite Movies or TV Shows! (can break it down to top ten favorite romance movies or comedy shows etc. etc.)

Gonna be totally random here with self inflicted categories (and with the disclaimer that all of this is subject to whim ;) ...

1) Favorite Christmas Movie: The Lion in Winter. After all, how can you help but feel jolly with quotes like:

Eleanor: How dear of you to let me out of jail.
Henry II: It's only for the holidays.

----

Henry II: Well, what shall we hang... the holly, or each other?

----

Henry II: The day those stout hearts band together is the day that pigs get wings.
Eleanor: There'll be pork in the treetops come morning.



2) Favorite movie based on an absurdest play: Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead

Guildenstern: We're still finding our feet.
The Player: I should concentrate on not losing your head.
---

Guildenstern: I don't believe in it anyway.
Rosencrantz: What?
Guildenstern: England.
Rosencrantz: Just a conspiracy of cartographers, then?

---

Rosencrantz: Do you think Death could possibly be a boat? 
Guildenstern: No, no, no... death is not. Death isn't. Take my meaning? Death is the ultimate negative. Not-being. You can't not be on a boat. 
Rosencrantz: I've frequently not been on boats.  
Guildenstern: No, no... what you've been is not on boats.


3)  Favorite movie that is simply absurd: Noises Off!

Dotty: Oh, yes, dear. Everything's all nice and paranormal here.

---

Dotty: And I take the sardines. No, I leave the sardines. No, I take the sardines.
Lloyd: You leave the sardines and you hang up the phone.
Dotty: Yes, right. I hang up the phone.
Lloyd: And you leave the sardines.
Dotty: I leave the sardines?
Lloyd: You leave the sardines.
Dotty: I hang up the phone and I leave the sardines?
Lloyd: Right!
Dotty: We've changed that, have we, dear?
Lloyd: No, dear...
Dotty: That's what I've always been doing?
Lloyd: I wouldn't say that, Dotty my precious.
Dotty: Well, how about the words, dear, am I getting some of them right?
Lloyd: Some of them have a very familiar ring.



4) Favorite children's movie: Ack too hard !  Something by Hayao Miyazaki - umm ... How about My Neighbor Totoro


or Spirited Away ... or The Cat Returns (which also sort of counts for this category)


5) Favorite Hayao Miyazaki movie that I can't watch with the kids until they are much, much older:  Princess Mononoke


6) Favorite Beatles movie ... this is a tie between Hard Days Night and Yellow Submarine depends on my mood really.  The kids love Yellow Submarine.


Ringo: Hey, I wonder what'll happen if I pull this lever.
Old Fred: Oh, you mustn't do that now.
Ringo: Can't help it. I'm a born "Liver-pooler."
 ---
Old Fred: Oh! Frankenstein!
Ringo: Yeah, I used to go out with his sister.
Old Fred: His sister?
Ringo: Yeah, Phyllis.
 ---
Reporter: Are you a mod or a rocker?
Ringo: Um, no. I'm a mocker.



7) Favorite Guilty Pleasure  - oohh hard one! - For some silly reason I have always enjoyed How to Steal a Million 

---
Simon Dermott: [to Nicole] Okay, you're the boss. Just do as I tell you.

---
Simon Dermott: Why must it be this particular work of art?
Nicole Bonnet: You don't think I'd steal something that didn't belong to me, do you?
Simon Dermott: Excuse me, I spoke without thinking.

---
Charles Bonnet: American millionaires must be all quite mad. Perhaps it's something they put in the ink when they print the money. 


 8) Favorite Jackie Chan movie - another tough one, right now it would be Armour of God II: Operation Condor (though this one changes lots). 


Right - quotes are clearly not the emphasis here ...




9) Favorite Obscure Romantic movie: Truly, Madly, Deeply 


Alan Rickman - oh sigh!  He is so lovely in this movie.


Nina: Your mother!
Jamie: You think every cloud looks like my mother.
Nina: This one really does look like your mother! Look: eyes, nose, eyebrows... brilliant!
Jamie: My mother has not got a beard!

---
Nina: Parents alive, Gloucestershire, teachers. Him geography, her history. So holidays it would be "Dad, where are we? Mum, have we been here before?" 


10) Favorite movie based on Cyrano de Bergerac: Roxanne

Roxanne Kowalski: Nobody had a coat?
C.D. Bales: I thought you said you didn't want a coat...
Roxanne Kowalski: Why would I not want a coat?
C.D. Bales: You said you didn't want a coat!
Roxanne Kowalski: I was being ironic.
C.D. Bales: Oh, ho, ho, irony! Oh, no, no, we don't get that here. See, uh, people ski topless here while smoking dope, so irony's not really a, a high priority. We haven't had any irony here since about, uh, '83, when I was the only practitioner of it. And I stopped because I was tired of being stared at.

---

C.D. Bales: I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream - and I hope you don't find this too crazy - is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, "Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!" That would be bad. 


And I don't think I can do a list like this without The Princess Bride - that would probably break some kind of rule.

The whole movie is a quotefest!






4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of Lion in Winter. I'm going to have to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful movie - the dialog is amazing.

      Delete
  2. Um, YES to Noises Off. Christopher Reeve is a delight in that movie. Everyone is. My sisters and I always say that line about "He's a SOCIAL WORKER! He's a NICE MAN who's going to tell us WHAT TO DO!" with crazy eyes (our father's a social worker).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is neat! I can't help but say the word Sardinia in a demented fashion because of this movie. And both my husband and I be set off with Box, box, box ! Bag, bag, bag!

      Delete

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.