Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Games of Command by Linnea Sinclair - mini whatever

Games of Command 
by Linnea Sinclair

Publisher:  Bantam Spectra Book


Format: ebook  
Copyright: 2007
Pages: 560

Genre: Science fiction romance
Source: purchased ebook 
Summary from Goodreads:
The universe isn’t what it used to be. With the new Alliance between the Triad and the United Coalition, Captain Tasha “Sass” Sebastian finds herself serving under her former nemesis, biocybe Admiral Branden Kel-Paten–and doing her best to hide a deadly past. But when an injured mercenary winds up in their ship’s sick bay–and in the hands of her best friend, Dr. Eden Fynn–Sass’s efforts may be wasted.

Wanted rebel Jace Serafino has information that could expose all of Sass’s secrets, tear the fragile Alliance apart–and end Sass’s career if Kel-Paten discovers them. But the biocybe has something to hide as well, something once thought impossible for his kind to possess: feelings . . . for Sass. Soon it’s clear that their prisoner could bring down everything they once believed was worth dying for–and everything they now have to live for.


This book was recommended to me so in the midst of a surfeit of children's books, I thought a grownup book would be a nice change of pace.  Unfortunately, um, not the kind of chance of pace for which I was looking. For the first half of the book, I was quite enjoying it.  I liked the friendship between Sass and Eden, I like some of the world building - though it was a little too dependent on overuse of made up jargon. I am totally on-board for a good space opera with a side dose of romance.

Things were going really well, then at what I think was roughly the midway point, the story took a left turn and stopped both making sense and being interesting to me. We had this lovely cast of characters, lots of things going on - intrigue, suspense, who to trust ... then bam - down to two pairs - all eyes on overcoming obstacles for love. Sigh. I did read the whole thing, but really - not for me. 

So - if romance novels with a science fiction theme are your thing - this book will totally float your boat. I now know it was nominated for a Rita. However, for me - this was a two and a half claw experience (the first half was three and a half; the second half a two or less).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.