Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Fifth Annual TBR Pile challenge


2014TBRbutton
I too have that terrible disease that leads me to keep buying new books when I have so many books already waiting forlornly on my shelves to be read. So, the Fifth Annual TBR Pile challenge seems to be a really good idea to try.

The 2014 TBR Pile Challenge hosted by Roof Beam Reader


The Goal: To finally read 12 books from your “to be read” pile (within 12 months).

 Specifics:
1. Each of these 12 books must have been on your bookshelf or “To Be Read” list for AT LEAST one full year. This means the book cannot have a publication date of 1/1/2013 or later (any book published in the year 2012 or earlier qualifies, as long as it has been on your TBR pile – I WILL be checking publication dates). Caveat: Two (2) alternates are allowed, just in case one or two of the books end up in the “can’t get through” pile.

Monthly Check-Ins: On the 15th of each month, I’m going to post a “TBR Pile Check-In.” This will allow participants to link-up their reviews from the past month and get some recognition for their progress. There will also be small mini-challenges and giveaways to go along with these posts (Such As: Read 6 books by the June Check-in and be entered to win a book of your choice!).



My 2014 TBR Pile Challenge List:

1. Jewels: A Secret History by Victoria Finlay (2006) (Currently Reading)
2. Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in Space by Mary Roach (2010)
3. Silent Spring by Rachel Carson (1962)
4. The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan (1995)
5. Uranium: War, Energy, and the Rock That Shaped the World by Tom Zoellner (2009) 
6. Cadillac Desert by Marc Reisner (1993)
✓ 7. The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean (2010)
8. Uncle Tungsten: Memories of a Chemical Boyhood by Oliver Sacks (2001) 
9. Field Notes from a Catastrophe by Elizabeth Kolbert (2006)  
10. Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky(2002) 
11. Four Fish: The Future of the Last Wild Food by Paul Greenberg (2010) 
12. Moby-Duck: The True Story of 28,800 Bath Toys Lost at Sea by Donovan Hohn (2011)

Alternates: 
1. Beneath the Sands of Egypt: Adventures of an Unconventional Archaeologist by Donald Ryan (2010)

2. Enchanted Glass by Diana Wynne Jones (2010)

My Progress: 2 of 12 Completed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.