Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Goals for 2014

Right - So I typically have no problems reading lots and lots of different things (other than never having enough time). However, I stink at keeping track of everything I have read or jotting down a coherent opinion about a book.

To help ameliorate this problem I have ...
  1. started this blog so that we (my kids and I) can write down our thoughts about the books we have read (as well as other things if they come up) and 
  2. I will sign up with a couple of book challenges for 2014 to try and motivate me to actually write out some reviews. 

~ 2014 Nonfiction Reader Challenge ~


So for the first challenge ...

The Introverted Reader is hosting a 2014 Nonfiction Reader Challenge

"The Challenge:  Read any non-fiction book(s), adult or young adult. That's it. You can choose anything. Memoirs? Yes. History? Yes. Travel? Yes. You get the idea? Absolutely anything that is classified as non-fiction counts for this challenge. "

So - I read a ton of nonfiction for work, so the number of books won't be a problem, it is the whole remembering to write out a review that is going to be the issue.  Keeping that in mind I will shoot for the Seeker level (Read 11-15) in the theory that I can do one non-fiction review a month (fingers crossed).

1. The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean 
2. Lake Effect by Nancy A. Nichols
3. Field Notes from A Catastrophe: Man, Nature and Climate Change by Elizabeth Kolbert
4. The Conundrum: How Scientific Innovation, Increased Efficiency, and Good Intentions Can Make Our Energy and Climate Problems Worse
by David Owen
5. 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff



~ 2014 Full House Reading Challenge ~


Next - I really love the idea of the bingo card style 2014 Full House Reading Challenge hosted at Book Date.  It is such a cool idea.

"The Challenge: Complete the card below.  You can do it in any order you wish.  You are allowed "one free exchange", if there is something on the square you really dislike you may change it to something of your choice. Once you have played this free card that is it. Mention the exchange in the final summary post." 



The Books

1) From the local library
2) Best (new) read so far in 2014 The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
3) From your wishlist  Curtsies & Conspiracies by Gail Carriger
4) Set in a different country  84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff (or better yet The Duchess of Bloomberry Street, the follow up which is entirely in the UK)
5) Published in 2014
6) Theme/issue you think is important Field Notes from A Catastrophe by Elizabeth Kolbert
7) Setting you'd like to visit Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple Antarctica!
8) Suspense or crime Some Like it Hawk by Donna Andrews
9) Contemporary Lexicon by Max Barry
10) More than 400 pages The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker
11) Reread Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart
12) Review persuaded you to read it  Hyperbole and a Half
13) Free choice
14) Published before 2013 Soulless by Gail Carriger
15) Book with an animal in it Digger by Ursula Vernon
16) Won or borrowed
17) Historical fiction  The Grand Tour: or the Purloined Coronation Regalia 
18) Less than 200 pages Lake Effect by Nancy A. Nichols
19) Non fiction The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean
20) Author new to you Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire
21) Book from a series Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles Book 2) by Marissa Meyer
22) Free or bought very cheaply Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
23) Published in 2013 Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger
24) Paranormal or sci-fi or dystopian  Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles Book 1)
25) You love the cover  Goth Girl and the Ghost of A Mouse by Chris Riddell

I know that I am new to this and totally going to fail on this challenge but I am going to try to complete at least a couple of bingo's on the board.


http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2013/11/2014-mount-tbr-challenge.html ~ 2014 TBR Pile Challenge ~

Finally - I really, really need to do this one - the Mount TBR challenge at My Readers Block http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2013/11/2014-mount-tbr-challenge.html, since I too have the terrible disease that leads me to keep buying new books when I have books I still haven't read languishing on my shelves.

"Books must be owned by you prior to January 1, 2014. No ARCs (none), no library books. No rereads. ...  Audiobooks and E-books may count if they are yours and they are one of your primary sources of backlogged books.]
*You may count any "currently reading" book that you begin prior to January 1--provided that you had 50% or more of the book left to finish in 2014.  I will trust you all on that."

The Goal: Pike's Peak Level to finally read 12 books from my “to be read” pile (within 12 months).

1. Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore   
2. Dash & Lily's Book of Dares
3. The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde
4. The Grand Tour: or the Purloined Coronation Regalia  
5. The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean 
6. Soulless by Gail Carriger
7. Lake Effect by Nancy A. Nichols
8. Some Like it Hawk by Donna Andrews
9. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
10. Field Notes from A Catastrophe: Man, Nature and Climate Change by Elizabeth Kolbert
11. Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
12. 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff

 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for signing up for the Full House Challenge, and even a short review will count! All the best with your new blog. I only started out a year ago, it takes awhile but I love it as a hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool ! My first comment :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like some fun reading and you're already off to a good start. I'm joining you on the nonfiction challenge. I hope to learn a little something!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.