Thursday, April 24, 2014

A peak into Anne of Green Gables and Abominable Science

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City Reader.

I joined the 2014 Classic YA/MG Challenge and the book for this month is Anne of Green Gables.  I loved this book as a girl and haven't re-read it for years.

Mrs. Rachel Lynde lived just where the Avonlea main road dipped down into a little hollow, fringed with alders and ladies' eardrops and traversed by a brook that had its source away back in the woods of the old Cuthbert place; it was reputed to be an intricate, headlong brook in its earlier course through those woods, with dark secrets of pool and cascade; but by the time it reached Lynde's Hollow it was a quiet, well-conducted little stream, for not even a brook could run past Mrs. Rachel Lynde's door without due regard for decency and decorum; it probably was conscious that Mrs. Rachel was sitting at her window keeping a sharp eye on everything that passed, from brooks and children up, and that if she noticed anything odd or out of place she would never rest until she had ferreted out the whys and wherefores thereof. 

(Whew! That is one heck of an opening sentence.)

Ladies' eardrops ???  Ah - Fuchsias!


For my non-fiction selection, I am feeling a bit frivolous - how about this ... Abominable Science by Daniel Loxton and Donald Prothero. I would post the cover, but honestly it is pretty yeargh and would go very poorly with the lovely fuchsias.

Ever since we were youngsters, we have been enthralled with ideas about monsters and magnificent creatures with mythic and ancient roots. Indeed we have never really gotten over being smitten with magical beasts. That is why one of us became a writer and an illustrator of books for young readers about creatures great and small, and the other became a paleontologist who studies the history of life on Earth as revealed through fossils.



For The Friday 56 hosted at Freda's Voice here is something from around the 56% mark of Anne of Green Gables -

"Dear me, there is nothing but meetings and partings in this world, as Mrs. Lynde says," remarked Anne plaintively, putting her slate and books down on the kitchen table on the last day of June and wiping her red eyes with a very damp handkerchief. "Wasn't it fortunate, Marilla, that I took an extra handkerchief to school today? I had a presentiment that it would be needed." 


From Abominable Science on page 56 we get ...

Some accounts feature Sasquatches with with huge pointed ears, complex markings, or heights over 12 feet tall. Bigfoot is reported in many colors, at many sizes, with many diverging anatomies. In some reports, Bigfoot can speak human languages. And, although this is systematically downplayed in the mainstream Bigfoot literature, it is very common for witnesses to claim that Bigfoot has paranormal features and abilities, such as eyes that literally glow, psychic powers, or flying saucer type vehicles. 

(Mainstream Bigfoot literature ? This seems to be an oxymoron.)
Okay - I am sold - you can find anything on the Internet.


Update - The Midnight Garden is holding a raffle for all six of the Anne of Green Gables books.

8 comments:

  1. Abominable Science sounds amazing! I hate it when a cover lets down the book because you just want to show the book to everyone but not the cover. I still haven't read Anne of Green Gables, but should probably get on that! I hope you enjoy both of your books! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great weekend!
    My Friday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know ! My daughter took one look at the cover and announced that she wouldn't read the book and that I wasn't allowed to read it to her either. I know what they were going for - any old-fashioned side-show poster attraction, but it still resulted in an eye-catching but really unpleasant cover.

      Delete
  2. "mainstream Bigfoot literature"... LOL! Thanks for that chuckle, and for the Anne quotes. I read your comment on The Midnight Garden discussion of Anne, and thought I'd stop by. Wasn't it fun to reread it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a very long opening sentence. I got tired just reading it. My Post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Anne of Green Gables eons ago! Should definitely reread it, even though that endless first sentence was tedious. About Abominable Science: Love your comment about "mainstream Bigfoot literature." You gave me my first chuckle of the morning.
    Here's the link to my Friday post: RESCUE MY HEART.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE Anne of Green Gables. I'm convinced we'd be bosom friends.
    My Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good choice of a book regardless of the long opening. :)

    THANKS for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Anne Shirley!!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.