Monday, April 7, 2014

It's Monday! What are You Reading? 4-7

It's Monday! What are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.

Mondays, I have discovered, are not a good day for me to remember to do something new - I hadn't realized I had missed so many. 

Last week was rather slow compared to the previous week. I got short reviews up for Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant by Tony Cliff and Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart - Mini Review


and posted two environmental news pieces ... Chemical Valley - The New Yorker looks into West Virginia Chemical Spill and The Lake Erie/Niagara River Ice Boom. I have to find time to get back to the Elk River chemical spill - I read that New Yorker piece and it raises some interesting questions, and I also have more information about the coal ash spills/leaks in North Carolina that I want to  highlight.

I am still reading Packing for Mars by Mary Roach and Silent Spring by Rachael Carson. I keep getting distracted by shiny new books (oops!) - is book ADHD a thing?

Speaking of shiny new books, these are the books I picked up last week (left to right) ... 
  • Phineas Gage: A Gruesome but True Story About Brain Science by John Fleischman
  • Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant by Tony Cliff
  • Eighty Days: Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bisland's History-Making Race Around the World by Matthew Goodman
  • Abominable Science: Origins of the Yeti, Nessie, and other Famous Cryptids by Daniel Loxton and Donald R. Prothero



1 comment:

  1. Packing for Mars is on my to-read list. I haven't read anything by Mary Roach yet, but I hear her books are good. I have read Eighty Days. It's a really good book about a journey I never would have heard of otherwise. Those are the best sorts of books! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.