Saturday, April 5, 2014

Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant by Tony Cliff - Mini Review

Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant 
by Tony Cliff

Published: First Second
Format: paperback
Copyright: 2013
Pages: 167
Genre: Graphic Novel
Source: personal copy

From the cover:  
Delilah Dirk has been all over the globe. Now for the first time in her life, she has a friend to share in her adventures. Selim is a Turkish soldier with a peaceful nature and a passion for excellent tea. He'd better get used to his new lifestyle fast, because there's never a dull moment when Delilah Dirk is involved! 

This book came to my attention because of some best of 2013 list or another. It was the only book they mentioned that caught my fancy. Delilah Dirk is an adventurer on a bit of a quest and Selim gets dragged along when she saves him from execution. Because Delilah saved his life, Selim feels honor-bound to stick with her, even though his isn't quite sure about the life of motion and constant danger that she plunges him into.

The artwork is quite good, though I am still not sure about the noses. There is definitely a problem with Delilah's nose. On the other hand, I love her flying ship. 

The story is light, fun and reads more or less like a buddy road trip. I liked it quite a lot. There is nothing too graphic, though there is violence, so it is much safer for a kid to read than pretty much any comic book being published these days. Though Delilah's clothing is a bit odd (mummy wrap is in fashion ?!?) it is really nice to see a female character that is not overly sexualized. Thumbs up - a fun read and I look forward to seeing the next adventure.


You can see the first couple of chapters at http://www.delilahdirk.com/
A bit of the next book is available at https://gumroad.com/l/dd-seeds

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.