Friday, April 18, 2014

Zita the Spacegirl by Ben Hatke - mini review


Zita the Spacegirl: Far from Home 
by Ben Hatke

Published: First Second
Format: paperback
Copyright: 2011
Pages: 192
Genre: Graphic Novel
Source: personal copy


Zita is a born button-pusher. This time, however,  pushing the button results in her best friend being abducted by an alien. Zita goes to the rescue, braving aliens of all shapes and sizes like humanoid chickens, Jerry in the pipe, and bombastic robots.

I don't want to give away too much since the plot in this lovely little books is quite well done. Much of the action is visual so it would probably be better to simply watch the video First Second put up ... (which, inexplicably, I can't get to embed, so here is the link)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FbFjGdhryE
Since the book showed up in the mail yesterday, my daughter spent around 40 minutes 'reading' it to herself (she is six and learning to read), asked me to read it to her again, has taken it to grandma's house to share with grandma and made me promise to read it again to her tonight. Pretty clearly, as far as my little leopard is concerned, this is a five claw book.

I agree - we both decided that we need the next book in the series now. If you have a young daughter, we both recommend this graphic novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.