Sunday, April 27, 2014

Bout of Books 10.0 Signup Post

Bout of Books
Hurray !  Bout of Book 10.0 signups are open!  Since was whingeing on about how I liked Bout of Books, I checked and was quite glad to find that I can sign up now.

This will be my second 'bout' so once again I have to remind myself NOT TO GET CARRIED AWAY!  Here is the event info ...

The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, May 12th and runs through Sunday, May 18th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 10 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team

See - there we go - low pressure - apparently I need my read-a-thons to be low pressure. I also need to do better with book selection this time and remember to include more ebooks, since that is what I spent the most time reading last time. The bulk of my fun reading time is in the dark after the kids are asleep.

Once again the week falls during a point in the year that  my normal amount of pleasure reading would be right around zilch - it's Finals week and I will be giving and grading three exams plus grading all of the outstanding project and homework. I plan to balance pulling out my hair grading with reading something light and fun to help keep me from going nuts.

When I was in college the week after finals I would go to the library and check out armloads of children's books (it was during one of those trips that I found the first Harry Potter book - there was just the one at the time!).  I still do something like that, I will just be starting a week and a half earlier than usual. My list will be heavy on funny stuff this time. Last time I made the mistake of listing a bunch of 'grownup' modern literature and stuff with lots of buzz that sounded like something I should like but that I was appalled by (Discovery of Witches, I am looking at you). Not this time. I will be feckless and frivolous and have fun (and alliterative too, I guess).

Time Devoted to Reading

I plan to devote at least two hours each day (probably split between lunch and just after the kids fall asleep) to reading for pleasure.

My Goals

  • To read 6 books for pleasure (to heck with books for classes - I have all summer for that).
  • Complete at least a summary review for each book read
  • I also want to participate in at least three challenges (I did all but one last time, but my time will be more thoroughly occupied with grading this time around).  
Details to be added at a later date :)

Update - I have added a Bout of Books 10.0 Goals List and will post my update information there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.