Saturday, April 26, 2014

Dewey's 24 hour read-a-thon Update 1

 My son read for just under two hours and finished The Invention of Hugo Cabret.  He really likes this book and loves the idea of inventing an automaton.

I just finished Nurk: The Strange, Surprising, Adventures of a (Somewhat) Brave Shrew by Ursula Vernon. It is a short book but I loved the language so much I kept going back and re-reading parts.  I love this book. It is going to get a full review after the read-a-thon.

Here is a sample ...

... the voice was very scary. 

"Stay back!" He cried. "I have - um - socks!" 

There was a pause while the voice considered this threat.

"Dirty or clean?" it asked.

"Clean," Nurk was forced to admit. 

"Then I am afraid that I'm not very scared of your socks," said the voice. "Dirty socks, maybe. Clean socks, however, are just not scary." 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've had a fun morning of reading so far! Happy Readathon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw Elisa on your read-a-thon sign-up and thought to stop by and look in on another Elisa. Glad I did. Your quote from Nurk sounded so fun I just had look it up and now I'm happily reading it as an e-book. Thanks for posting about the book!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.