Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Mount TBR: March Checkpoint Post

I am doing better than I expected ... I have actually read eleven books out of the twelve I hoped to tackle (Pike's Peak level). On the other hand I am doing rather lousy with my non-fiction TBR challenge so I will have to do something about changing my tactics.

My original goal: Pike's Peak Level to finally read 12 books from my “to be read” pile (within 12 months).

These are the books I have completed ...

1. Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore   
2. Dash & Lily's Book of Dares
3. The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde
4. The Grand Tour: or the Purloined Coronation Regalia  
5. The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean 
6. Soulless by Gail Carriger
7. Lake Effect by Nancy A. Nichols
8. Some Like it Hawk by Donna Andrews
9. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
10. Field Notes from A Catastrophe: Man, Nature and Climate Change by Elizabeth Kolbert
11. Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

1. Okay - I grew up in Colorado and still miss the mountains, so now I will try to figure out how many books it will take get to up Pike's Peak, but I am a scientist so I will work this out in meters, not miles (silly English units). The elevation of Pike's Peak: 14,115 feet or 4,302 meters according to Wikipedia. The average height of the books I have read is approximately 21 centimeters or 0.21 meters per book. This means that I would need to read 20,486 books to make it up Pike's Peak. I have only made it 0.054% of the way up with 11 books.

I have been up there - I am pretty sure that I was reading the Chronicles of Narnia

2A. Favorite cover - I have to admit that in terms of cover art, the books I have read so far have not really been knocking my socks off. The cover for Soulless actually makes my back hurt just looking at it. I guess I like The Last Dragonslayer for humor and Lake Effect for poignancy.


 2B. Oh, hard one - I think its a tie between the Quark Beast (The Last Dragonslayer) and Meg (Some Like it Hawk).

 2C. Everything I have read is so different that I don't have a favorite. That kind of thing changes with my mood anyhow. The good thing is that I have enjoyed or gotten something out of everything I have read so far.

2D. Easy one, out of the books listed Field Notes from A Catastrophe was on my TBR pile longest and I darn well should have read it ages ago! It is a good book and I should have gotten around to it before it became so dated.

So - I think now that I have almost made it up my mountain, I need to up my goal to  
Mount Blanc: Read 24 books from your TBR pile/s

2 comments:

  1. Well done! That's a good number of TBR books to get through in a few months. And wasn't The Last Dragonslayer fun? I've got The Song of the Quarkbeast on my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.