Saturday, April 26, 2014

Dewey's 24 hour read-a-thon Update 2


I just finished reading 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff. It was an excellent read but quite the switch from my last book. The ending was so sad!

I just ordered a used copy of The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street though.

One sprout is now at a play date and the other is watching Disney's Jungle Book - she had me read the story to her last night and seems to be having lots of fun.

I have to find something fun to read to make me feel better!

A couple of short quotes from some of Helene Hanff's letters...

Kindly inform the Church of England they have loused up the most beautiful prose ever written, whoever told them to tinker with the Vulgate Latin? They'll burn for it, you mark my words.

or how about ...

You may add Walton's Lives to the list of books that you aren't sending me. It's against my principles to buy a book I haven't read, it's like buying a dress you haven't tried on, but you can't even get Walton's Lives in a library over here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.